Welcome to DU!
The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards.
Join the community:
Create a free account
Support DU (and get rid of ads!):
Become a Star Member
Latest Breaking News
Editorials & Other Articles
General Discussion
The DU Lounge
All Forums
Issue Forums
Culture Forums
Alliance Forums
Region Forums
Support Forums
Help & Search
Latest Breaking News
In reply to the discussion: Justice Department announces a $1.7B fund to compensate Trump allies in a deal to drop IRS suit [View all]LetMyPeopleVote
(182,006 posts)15. Here is the DOJ release on this "settlement"
Link to tweet
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-announces-anti-weaponization-fund
Part of settlement agreement in President Donald J. Trump v. Internal Revenue Service
The U.S. Department of Justice today announced that as a part of the settlement agreement in President Donald J. Trump v. Internal Revenue Service, the Attorney General established The Anti-Weaponization Fund to provide a systematic process to hear and redress claims of others who suffered weaponization and lawfare.
The plaintiffs in the case, President Donald J. Trump, Donald J. Trump, Jr., Eric Trump, and the Trump Organization, LLC, filed suit against the Treasury and IRS in Southern District of Florida federal court following the leak of their tax returns. Per the settlement, plaintiffs will receive a formal apology but no monetary payment or damages of any kind. They have agreed, in exchange for the creation of this fund, to drop their pending lawsuit with prejudice, and also withdraw two administrative claims including for damages resulting from the unlawful raid of Mar-a-Lago and the Russia-collusion hoax.
The machinery of government should never be weaponized against any American, and it is this Departments intention to make right the wrongs that were previously done while ensuring this never happens again, said Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche. As part of this settlement, we are setting up a lawful process for victims of lawfare and weaponization to be heard and seek redress.
The use of government power to target individuals or entities for improper and unlawful political, personal, or ideological reasons should not be tolerated by any Administration, said Principal Associate Deputy Attorney General Trent McCotter.
The Fund will have the power to issue formal apologies and monetary relief owed to claimants. Submission of a claim is voluntary. There are no partisan requirements to file a claim. Any money left when the Fund ceases operations will revert to the Federal Government.
The Fund will receive $1.776 billion and will come from the judgment fund, which is a perpetual appropriation allowing DOJ to settle and pay cases. On a quarterly basis, the Fund shall send a report to the Attorney General outlining who has received relief and what form of relief was awarded.
At the Attorney Generals direction, the Fund can be audited. The Fund must take steps to protect private information and avoid fraud. The Fund shall cease processing claims no later than December 1, 2028.
There is legal precedent for such a Fund, most notably the Keepseagle case where the Obama Administration created a $760 million fund to redress various claims alleging racism against the federal government over a period of decades.
In Keepseagle, hundreds of millions of dollars remaining in the fund were distributed to non-profits and NGOs that never made claims, whereas any money remaining in The Anti-Weaponization Fund will revert to the federal government. The Obama DOJ settled by putting $680 million from the judgment fund into a bank account for a single claims administrator to dole out. In Keepseagle the remaining moneywhich ended up being over $300 millionwas distributed to the entities that had not even submitted claims.
The Fund will consist of five members appointed by the Attorney General. One Member will be chosen in consultation with congressional leadership. The President can remove any member, but a replacement must be chosen the same way as the replaced member was selected.
Updated May 18, 2026
The U.S. Department of Justice today announced that as a part of the settlement agreement in President Donald J. Trump v. Internal Revenue Service, the Attorney General established The Anti-Weaponization Fund to provide a systematic process to hear and redress claims of others who suffered weaponization and lawfare.
The plaintiffs in the case, President Donald J. Trump, Donald J. Trump, Jr., Eric Trump, and the Trump Organization, LLC, filed suit against the Treasury and IRS in Southern District of Florida federal court following the leak of their tax returns. Per the settlement, plaintiffs will receive a formal apology but no monetary payment or damages of any kind. They have agreed, in exchange for the creation of this fund, to drop their pending lawsuit with prejudice, and also withdraw two administrative claims including for damages resulting from the unlawful raid of Mar-a-Lago and the Russia-collusion hoax.
The machinery of government should never be weaponized against any American, and it is this Departments intention to make right the wrongs that were previously done while ensuring this never happens again, said Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche. As part of this settlement, we are setting up a lawful process for victims of lawfare and weaponization to be heard and seek redress.
The use of government power to target individuals or entities for improper and unlawful political, personal, or ideological reasons should not be tolerated by any Administration, said Principal Associate Deputy Attorney General Trent McCotter.
The Fund will have the power to issue formal apologies and monetary relief owed to claimants. Submission of a claim is voluntary. There are no partisan requirements to file a claim. Any money left when the Fund ceases operations will revert to the Federal Government.
The Fund will receive $1.776 billion and will come from the judgment fund, which is a perpetual appropriation allowing DOJ to settle and pay cases. On a quarterly basis, the Fund shall send a report to the Attorney General outlining who has received relief and what form of relief was awarded.
At the Attorney Generals direction, the Fund can be audited. The Fund must take steps to protect private information and avoid fraud. The Fund shall cease processing claims no later than December 1, 2028.
There is legal precedent for such a Fund, most notably the Keepseagle case where the Obama Administration created a $760 million fund to redress various claims alleging racism against the federal government over a period of decades.
In Keepseagle, hundreds of millions of dollars remaining in the fund were distributed to non-profits and NGOs that never made claims, whereas any money remaining in The Anti-Weaponization Fund will revert to the federal government. The Obama DOJ settled by putting $680 million from the judgment fund into a bank account for a single claims administrator to dole out. In Keepseagle the remaining moneywhich ended up being over $300 millionwas distributed to the entities that had not even submitted claims.
The Fund will consist of five members appointed by the Attorney General. One Member will be chosen in consultation with congressional leadership. The President can remove any member, but a replacement must be chosen the same way as the replaced member was selected.
Updated May 18, 2026
Edit history
Please sign in to view edit histories.
Recommendations
3 members have recommended this reply (displayed in chronological order):
37 replies
= new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight:
NoneDon't highlight anything
5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
RecommendedHighlight replies with 5 or more recommendations
Justice Department announces a $1.7B fund to compensate Trump allies in a deal to drop IRS suit [View all]
BumRushDaShow
16 hrs ago
OP
It should take at least as long for Trump to get his $1.7B as it'll take E. Jean Carroll to receive her money.
sop
15 hrs ago
#17
"Where are our leaders? Not voicing ANYTHING makes voters think "It's OK.""
BumRushDaShow
15 hrs ago
#7
And where is this money going to come from? Doesn't Congress have to approve something like this?
Ray Bruns
15 hrs ago
#6
MaddowBlog-Trump moves to withdraw $10 billion lawsuit against IRS amid reports of new 'slush fund'
LetMyPeopleVote
15 hrs ago
#10
Dems have got to vocally respond to this outrage and fight it tooth and nail. We know the GOP
D. Spaulding
15 hrs ago
#13
Wow! Trump is really a master dealmaker; he negotiated himself down from $10B to $1.7B, saving us $8.3B.
sop
15 hrs ago
#14
He claims Biden weaponized the justice department ? What does he call his persecution of Comey, Brennan for doing
ChicagoTeamster
14 hrs ago
#25
Both men in charge at the IRS and the DOJ are "acting heads," neither have been confirmed, and both are Trump stooges.
sop
12 hrs ago
#32
If that's what this fund truly is, then Democrats that the DOJ attacked at the behest of Trump should get their share.
patphil
13 hrs ago
#30
Only in Trumps USA!!-Taxpayers paying Rioters who hurt our Capitol police and damaged the Capitol!!
riversedge
11 hrs ago
#34
Did I tell y'all about my friend who lost his job? He was an administrator of a company that employed
Scrivener7
10 hrs ago
#36
Judge is taking the position that the lawsuit does not include any settlement
LetMyPeopleVote
7 hrs ago
#37